Friday, April 8, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

My friend Becky pointed me to this recipe to help utilize the kale that came in my bountiful basket. My mom makes a similar soup with ham and spinach instead of sausage and kale. I reduced the meat in the original recipe. I ended up picking out almost every piece, but it gave the broth great flavor. I also increased the green ratio.

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 8 oz Italian sausage ( original recipe calls for 16 oz package smoked sausage)
  • 2 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 or 2 strips bacon (original called for 6--way way way too much)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2-3 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
  • 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
  • 1 quart water
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. Cooks sausage in heavy sauce pan until browned. Remove to paper towel to drain.
  2. Place onions and bacon slices in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear. Remove bacon and crumble. Set aside.
  3. Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Add chicken soup base, water, and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
  4. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.