Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pasta with Squash and Garlic

I saw this recipe on a cooking show. They didn't so much give the recipe as describe the method, and although I've made this several times, I really can't be much more specific. I just kind of make it as looks and tastes good to me. It is a easy and fast dinner with ingredients I usually have on hand, during zucchini season anyway.

Cook desired pasta, I use spaghetti, according to directions. Make sure the water is well-salted. Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup or so of cooking liquid.

Warm a couple tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet, not too hot or garlic will become bitter. Brown whole cloves of garlic on the oil--I would say at least four. When garlic is brown, place zucchini in a single layer in pan. Let zucchini cook until it is good and brown. The carmelizing really enhances the flavor. Turn zucchini and brown the other side.

When zucchini is good and brown, add cooked pasta to the skillet, stir around to let pasta deglaze the pan. Don't do this for too long though or you pasta will get tough.

Serve with ample amounts of shredded parmesan.