Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Green Enchilada Sauce

I'm loving this new enchilada sauce recipe from Amy. I need it here on my blog though so it's with everything else. I've used it with my new squash enchiladas, Sister's Cafe's Honey Lime Enchiladas, and now with chile verde pork.

2 Tbl oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 lrg garlic clove, chopped
3 Tbl flour
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth (I use the concentrated veg. broth. Thanks again Heather!)
1 c. anaheim or poblano chilies, roasted & peeled OR 1c. canned chopped green chilies (I usually use the canned)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt (I just use more veg broth, to taste, to add a little more flavor along with the salt - this stuff has been the best substitute for boullion (holy MSG!)
2 tsp chopped jalapenos (optional)

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onions, but not browning them. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes while stirring (it will clump up with the onions, but it's okay). Gradually pour in broth, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should be thick enough to coat a spoon - if it's too thick, add a little water. You can store this in the fridge for a week or so. It congeals when cold, but will return to liquid when reheated.