Friday, January 21, 2011

Pizza Dough

This is the dough that changed me from a whole wheat pizza maker to a white pizza maker. It's just too good to give up. Recipe from The Sister's Cafe

1 c. warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast (equivalent of one ¼ oz. pkg)
3 T. canola oil
2 ½ - 3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Put warm water in a bowl and stir in sugar and yeast. Let proof for a few minutes, until the yeast has produced a foam on the surface of the water. Stir in remaining ingredients; mix to form a ball and knead for approximately 10 minutes. (I use a standing mixer, so I don’t have it mix this long.) Let rise in an oiled bowl for 1 ½ hours. (I am not too concerned about letting it rise this long. This time I allowed it to rise on the counter for 30 minutes and it turned out delicious. So you can cut the time if you need to.)