Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eliza's Butternut

We've gotten a fair amount of winter squash in our co-op baskets lately, we've not been able to find many ways to eat it that are more than tolerable. My friend Eliza sent me this recipe that she claimed her family loves, but I gotta be honest, I was skeptical. Even up to the point that it was finished cooking and I tasted it (pre-adding the cheese), I thought, "this is not going to fly with my family." But you add the cheese, and wow, it is delicious! And everyone thought so. Not a complaint from Drew and Isaac about how I never make anything they like. Dave said, "This is so much better than any other squash you've made."

So, Eliza, thanks for getting me out of my comfort zone and for a great recipe.
Here it is exactly as she sent it with my notes in red.

Sometimes I add one or a couple of these;
shrimp
chicken
cinnamon
walnuts
bacon (we used bacon)
:)


Butternut squash soup

2lbs Butternut or acorn squash (I used 2 acorn)
1 Tablespoon Butter
2-3 apples (I like green ones, They stay together best) (I used Granny Smith, did not peel)
1 1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup celery
1 bay leaf
2 tsp Curry pd
or 1 TB paste (I used green paste)
2-3 Garlic cloves
5 cups broth
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 cup cheese (I like the sharper cheeses But any will do) (I used medium cheddar)
half the squash and scoop out the seeds. Salt and pepper both halves. To cook you can put in a glass dish upside down with a little water in the bottom. Cook in the oven at 350 for about an hour, or the micro, covered for 1/2 hour or when the thickest part is soft. (I like it a little more on the firm side, so when I add it to the soup it doesn't disintegrate) (I cooked mine in the crockpot on high for about 4 hours, next time I'd cook it a little less)
While that is cooking saute all the rest of the ingredients except the broth and bay leaf and cheese. Once they are fragrant (about 5-10 min) add the broth and the bay leaf. When the squash is done score it with a knife (in squares, so when you scoop it out it will come out in chunks) scoop it out and add it to the soup. cook for a few more minutes to thicken the soup.
cube the cheese and put in a bowl. (I like to add it to the bowls of soup individually, otherwise it makes a nice cheese mess)
Happy eating with delicious bread!